The Data Analyst is responsible for the analysis and utilization of data from many sources with the overarching goal of leveraging HRC’s 8+ million records to strategically support and fulfill the organization’s fundraising and programmatic objectives. This position has four primary areas of responsibility: data management, data visualization, data analysis, and data integration.
The Data Analyst will help ensure the integrity of, enhancements and improvements to, and the management of the data flowing into and out of HRC’s Oracle-based CRM database (hosted by ROI Solutions), data warehouse (hosted by Civis), and voter database (VAN). In that capacity, the Data Analyst, together with the team, will serve a pivotal role as the guardian of all data related to HRC’s members, supporters and contacts and will play a key role as team project manager.
- Create reports, visualizations, tools, and analyses with the goal of developing strategic insights and strategies from HRC’s data to enhance fundraising, political action and donor/supporter experience with the organization. The Data Analyst will be creative and pro-active in looking for opportunities to apply data analysis to multiple facets of the organization’s work;
- Use descriptive analytics to determine the success of fundraising efforts, including A/B testing and statistical significance in differences between two groups;
- Use data to create predictive models for quantitative analysis of trends among members, supporters, and prospects; and
- Work closely with users to identify their business needs in terms of problems and opportunities and develop routines, processes, reports, queries and extracts.
- Manage and maintain all data extracts for direct response campaigns, including telemarketing, direct mail, and web/digital ad campaigns using SQL in Civis and ROI Solutions;
- Manage and maintain data extract requests from the Campaigns & Organizing team for contacting members and supporters during political campaign efforts using the voter file through the platform of the Voter Action Network (VAN);
- Provide technical support and advice in creating contact lists and other processes in the VAN;
- Adhere to established protocols and standards for data integrity, data quality, data hygiene and overall data management;
- Work with internal users and vendors to ensure that the database is complete and accurate and that data imports, uploads, queries, reports and extracts are performed according to established norms and protocols, including regular data cleansing and maintenance (e.g. de-duping records, NCOA updates, and other data appends and sweeps);
- Develop, implement and document policies and procedures relating to HRC’s membership database, including providing technical support and customer service for internal users; and help ensure the accuracy of data extracts as part of the Quality Control process, analyze the accuracy and reliability of data outputs and make corrections as needed.
- Design, construct, manage, distribute, and maintain data visualizations as a component of reporting and analysis;
- Incorporate innovative and informative data visualizations in Tableau for multiple departments within HRC for internal reporting on members and supporters;
- Train/provide technical guidance to internal team members and external users to utilize reports and visualizations effectively;
- Use Tableau to create, maintain, and distribute interactive charts, graphs, dashboards, maps and other items to inform departments of internal progress and promote data-driven decision making;
- Keep up to date on best practices for effective data visualization creation.
- Serve as a pro-active team member handling data synchronization between systems and technical issues regarding member and supporter data – especially concerning types of data to be collected or stored, enhancements to ROI/Civis, changes in systems that feed into ROI/Civis, etc.;
- Help manage data streams into and out of ROI/Civis. Ensure that all data collected for input into ROI (e.g. manual data entry by internal and external users, automatic synchronization of data from other systems, uploads from overlays, etc.) are compatible with ROI structure and protocols;
- Diagnose problems as they occur and identify and implement solutions. Work with users and database vendor to identify and implement improvements.
- Work to create efficiencies across departments and users, and
- Help the team connect the dots between new requests and recently completed ones so that work can be edited rather than created new by reviewing incoming requests, paying close attention to discussions around data, and having a thorough understanding of the data itself,;
- Ensure that all of their work is documented on the shared drive, and assist the team in saving incoming reports, requests, etc;
- Coordinate activity with and serve as back-up for other Data team members;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) plus three to five years related experience is required.
- Database querying with SQL;
- Experience building reports and visualizations in Tableau.
- Experience with predictive analytics using R or Python;
- Knowledge of and previous experience with a membership database (ROI Solutions) and/or Salesforce is helpful;
- Experience in Voter Action Network (VAN) database preferred;
- Experience with Flask and/or Shiny apps preferred;
- Experience in non-profit fundraising, preferably in a highly complex environment within a large non-profit preferred;
- Demonstrated communication and collaboration skills to work with staff, volunteers and vendors; understand and interpret user needs; and lend expertise, problem-solving, and creative and analytic thinking to formulate and communicate solutions;
- Ability to create reports and communicate findings on trends, performance and objectives in a clear, concise manner;
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic organizational environment;
- Strong attention to detail and desire to investigate problems to identify and rectify underlying causes;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize and manage time well;
- Knowledge of or interest in LGBTQ issues is preferred.
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.